Thursday, August 19, 2010

Accidental Soldier

Accidental soldier. A phrase I am sure I have heard before but apparently never paid much mind to until about a week ago. I was at a music concert and that phrase happened to be in a song I hadn't heard before. I was very tuned in trying to 'hear' the words, since I felt the melody very strongly. Perhaps that is why the phrase grabbed hold of me. Accidental soldier. Yes I am.

An accidental soldier, to me, is someone who has had no choice but to fight in life. Someone who has been drafted into battles from which they must choose to live or die. Someone who wears scars, seen and unseen from situations they would never have chosen to put themselves into. Someone who fights for themselves and ultimately for others, known and unknown.

A soldier is not a victim. A soldier rises above. A soldier gives all they have to ensure the welfare of themselves and those they are fighting for. A soldier understands sacrifice is sometimes necessary, and entitlement is nonexistent. An accidental soldier is no different. A soldier by chance, but a soldier nonetheless.

As an accidental soldier, I have lived through my own battles. Taking them as they came, fighting to remain who I was and come out on the other side. I have won many, lost some. I have never asked to fight, but fought when it was necessary. I struggle with my scars, but appreciate what they represent. Survival. I wear my conquers with pride and dignity, but most times where no one can see them.

Accidental soldier. Proud of the victories, heavy-hearted from the war.

2 comments:

  1. crap...i started writing something and realized how negative it was in comparison to what you've written. my shit will come out my own time and place. what i need to o now is thank you for making me think...your perspective is different enough from mine that my myopia very apparent.
    thank you...
    and welcome back!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sometimes I get my best inspirations from thinking completely opposite of what I hear, read, or see. Inspiration for me doesn't always come from agreeing or relating. Sometimes its the fuel of complete disgust that sparks my ideas. Inspiration is everywhere....because you are always with yourself.

    ReplyDelete