Thursday, January 13, 2011

The Elderly Couple

While sitting in the "waiting room" waiting for my chest xray, I took the opportunity to people watch. Oftentimes I try to imagine what people's lives are like. I think about what their house looks like, where they work, if they even work, what might be on their meal plan for dinner that evening. I wouldn't say I am judgmental, just curious.

An elderly couple came in just as I sat down to do my waiting. The man was pushing the woman in a walker/chair type device. She was facing him in the seat. It looked awkward, but it got the job done I suppose. I watched them intently. She was obviously a victim of some sort of terrible osteoporosis or rheumatoid arthritis. They both had to be in their 80's. After settling the chair/walker in a place as to not be in the way, the elderly gentleman took off his hat and gloves. He placed the gloves in his pocket. He proceeded to stand in front of his wife and help her remove her gloves. With no words being said, she grabbed hold of the walker and stood up so her husband could put her gloves in her pocket. He then proceeded to remove her hat, scarf and coat like they had done this a million times, and probably had. When she was settled back in her chair, the man took off his glasses and tucked them in his shirt pocket. In that same pocket was a pack of tissues. He took one tissue out, proceeded to fold it gingerly and used it to wipe his wife's nose. It was at this point that I was very moved. I looked at others watching them. I could tell by their faces most of them were simply thinking, "damn, glad that's not me." I could not help but think, "Damn I hope that is me". Maybe not today, but when that time comes I want to know I have someone that cares for me in all respects or that I can care for them; to believe that the commitment I make now will carry through to those fragilest of times.

I began to recall what I used to think I needed and wanted in a partner. Its amazing how differently I think now to even just ten years ago. The things that seemed so important in a relationship replaced by what truly is important. As I watched that elderly couple I tried to picture what their life used to be, dinners, dancing, raising children, and what it consists of today. I am sure he dresses and undresses her daily. Most likely he feeds her and baths her. They probably cant share a bed anymore. I imagine he tends to everything in the house and everything relating to her care. I saw no resentment in his eyes. When he looked at her he seemed so proud to be with her, to do for her, to love her.

That, to me, is what its all about.

No comments:

Post a Comment