Monday, December 20, 2010

Gay Soldier

You said I didn't matter

That I was just a gay

You made me fight for rights

That you had every day

You chanted hate on corners

Held signs up of disgust

You've protested my marriage

And other things unjust

You've said I can't compare

To what a man should be

I shouldn't be allowed to fight

To keep our country free

I hid my sexuality

To serve my fellow man

I slept by you and shared your food

And lied the best I can

You never knew my partner

Until that faithful day

When you looked at my photograph

And found out I was gay

Your haste to leave the trenches

So you would not be near

Your impulsive reaction

Certainly cost you dear

The shots rang out in unison

Your body on the ground

An instant change in thinking

A moment quite profound

Staring up into my eyes

I wait for what you'll say

Will you save my life today?

I can't, I'm just a gay

And for that very moment

I felt justified

But reached out to my brother

And held him as he died.

~EB 2010

No comments:

Post a Comment