Tuesday, March 22, 2011

"How come they dont have a gay boy's section?"

I was walking through the clothing section of a major retailer last night with my 13 year old daughter. We were looking for socks that were long enough to go up over her knees. She likes to wear them for protection when sliding in softball. We started at the ladies section, then traveled to the boy's section. After realizing boys don't typically wear knee socks,and heading to the girls section, my kid said to me "how come they don't have a gay boy's section?" To which I replied, "why would they?" I suggested that if a boy wanted to wear something girly he could always go to the girls section and vice versa. She seemed unimpressed with my thought process and I was glad. While I agreed with her a million percent that additional choices in this world are needed, I am a firm believer in our children making their own assessments about the world, not just taking on their parent's.

"I think they need to have another section for those people that don't like just girls or boy's clothes, but something more in between".

I smiled proudly to myself, nodded my head and said "I would shop there for sure."

No comments:

Post a Comment