Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Pray the Gay Away?

Last night's airing of Pray the Gay Away? on the Oprah Winfrey Network left me with so many things to ponder. Being gay myself, and quite comfortable with that part of me, I found myself easily angered at what seemed to be complete ignorance on some people's parts. However, when I put my anger aside, I was able to see that these people were not truly ignorant, they were in fact victims of the utmost damaging brainwashing I have ever seen.

I personally don't care how I 'became' a lesbian. If it was genetic, environment, trauma or a combination, it matters not to me. I am what I am and who I am and I how I got here really doesn't effect what I think about myself. However, anyone watching that program, gay or not, would be able to pick the gay-turned-straight guy out of a crowd of a thousand as a gay man. His appearance, his speech, his fluidity were very apparent. For someone who has been 'changed' to a straight man, I find it hard to understand why his mannerisms didn't change to straight ones as well. If his gayness was a behavior that could be changed, why was the sexual aspect the only thing about him that changed and nothing else? Why? Because he is still gay.

Anyone can change a behavior. I can go sleep with a million men if I wanted to. Does that make me a straight woman? No, it makes me a lesbian that just slept with a million men. Our sexuality isn't just about who we sleep with. It explains who we are as people. It effects who we relate to and connect with. Sexuality doesn't just equal sexual acts. Our actual sex lives, for the most part, are a very small part of what we do, yet for gay people it becomes all of how they are perceived. Confusing sexuality with sexual acts is why someone that doesn't understand same gender intimacy projects their disgust onto the gay person as a whole. It makes sense that these same people would then assume by changing the sexual act someone partakes in ultimately changes their being.

I am not a religious person. I made the decision not to be. However I believe anyone should have the opportunity to believe what they want and need to. It saddened me to see the children in this documentary growing up believing in their God yet thinking the God they expect to save them is the same God that is condemning them. The confusion that God would put someone "broken and wrong" on this earth, and that person is you, is a very difficult concept for a child, or anyone for that matter, to swallow. Growing up gay is very difficult to begin with. Growing up gay in a religious environment that doesn't accept you as a person is devastating.

I understand the reason programs that promote gay to straight conversion therapy exist. I understand for some life would be made "right" if only they could find a way to change. What I don't understand is why who you love and who you are intimate with dictate how you rank as a human being. And I don't understand how falsifying a behavior and lying to yourself makes you a better person than someone who is true to who they are and others.

4 comments:

  1. Well said. I would think it to be following this god more to be true to yourself and others and not to lie. It's sad to see how much hatred is turned into self-hate in these situations.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a great blog in itself... "hatred turned into self-hate".....I may have to use that. Excellent point.

    ~EB

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've said this before but I *have* to repeat myself here: it's like you took the words right out of my mouth! lol =]

    Growing up in Aroostook County, Maine, I've seen what kind of impact religion has on a community. This county as a whole is very conservative and most around here identify as Christian or Catholic. My town in particular is pretty much dead every Sunday because everyone goes to church and then they go home.

    My community didn't respond well to me "coming out". I actually had teachers in high school tell me that I should've just kept it to myself and that "that isn't a good way to make friends".
    So what people wanted me to do was hide who I truly was so other people would like me? How the hell does it make me "a better person" to lie about my true self.
    Who I have sex with is such a tiny part of my life but at the same time it isn't. Like you said in this blog, it's pretty easy to pick out gay men. Well the stereotypical "Heeeeyyy" ones anyways lol. One of my best friends is a gay guy like that lol we tried to date back in junior high but because of his hatred for vaginas that obviously didn't work out but we both were always just "too different" for our religious community.

    We have had people say that they are "praying for us to get better." Like I'm just sick and one day I'll wake up and not be queer? Highly unlikely. I've been attracted to everyone on the gender spectrum at some point in time. I've been this way as long as I can remember, and I don't think Jesus, God, Allah or anyone else is gonna change me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Erica,

    I don't think Jesus, God, Allah or any higher power really wants to.

    ~EB

    ReplyDelete