Thursday, November 4, 2010

She gets me

Driving into work this morning I was listening to music as usual. There is hardly a song that I hear that cant produce some kind of emotion in me, even if I don't particularly like the song. A pop song was playing at one point and I decided to listen to the words despite my urge to change the channel and find something more soothing to my ear.

The song was typical in that the artist was singing of his appreciation for his girl's beauty. As a writer I know how easy it is for strong emotions to inspire lyrics. Most songs you hear are about passionate love or the failure thereof. I realized that I have never written a song lyric, a poem or anything about anyone in a superficial way. While I have a great appreciation for a good looking woman, I don't write about it, I'm not inspired by it and it has never been criteria for me.

I began to reflect on what it is that inspires the sticky love dripping words I sometimes jot down. And all I could come up with was feelings. I write about feelings. Feelings that run much deeper than anything you can see. I recalled a line I wish I had penned, "her hair reminds me of a warm safe place where as a child I'd hide". That's not about beautiful hair or the appreciation of it, its about the feeling the hair gives you. Those are the feelings that inspire me.

When people ask me about my significant other, they usually want to know where we met and what attracted me to her. Its hard for me to answer the latter because it doesn't have words. It's a series of feelings that can create a series of words, none of which would make much sense in a conversational setting. I end up looking like I am lost for words, like I cant pick out a single thing that would explain my love. The truth is, there really are no words to explain it.

My wife wont win the Miss America pageant, she doesn't have influential friends, she isn't rolling in money, her job is less than high profile, and her car is a typical four door sedan; hardly conversation stoppers. But she gets me. And no one in this entire world but her 'gets me'. No one else would have the strength, patience and selflessness to even try. I cant write about her hair or her eyes or how she shakes her booty on the dance floor. But I can write about how it FEELS when she gets me.

From now on, when someone asks me what attracted me to her, I will simply respond with that......."she gets me".

No comments:

Post a Comment