Thursday, February 24, 2011

Pride Stickers

While commuting this morning, I noticed the car in front of me sporting a rainbow colored peace sign. My first instinct when I see a pride sticker on a person's car is to peer through the window and make my assessment on who in the car is gay, who might or might not be their partner and wonder if the kids in the back were conceived through IVF or are just visiting relatives. My gaydar kicks on and I make sure to stay within a certain distance until I am sure I have sized up the situation and pacified my curiosity.

Passing judgment because I can relate is still passing judgment. I had no idea what the orientations of the occupants of the car were, I assumed. I assumed because they advertised a reason for me to assume. I was guilty of seeing something that registered as homosexual and ran with it, guilty of what I so strongly oppose in others. I told myself I just wanted to feel the connection. Belonging to a small community, it makes sense to try to recognize those similar to you. That's where it should have ended; happy to see an openly gay person driving to work like I was. Instead I tried to sort out their personal life, something that is none of my business; something that I cannot accurately do without personally knowing these people.

The rest of my commute was spent in thought. Advertising who we are enables the world to see just how infiltrated we are with everyone else. However, it also opens the door for judging and hate to find an easier target. Some days I feel I should be loud and proud, other days I have the attitude that if I want to be treated like the rest of society I need to just act like the rest of society; that drawing attention to my differences keeps me at arms length. I suppose there are arguments for both thought processes.

I don't have a sticker on my car. I did once, but my daughter asked me to take it off. I drove her to school each morning. She had no fear of being picked on for having two moms, she just didn't understand why I had to advertise. I recall her saying "Mom, you don't see straight stickers on people's cars, you are no different." She was more concerned that the sticker would give people a reason to judge me without knowing me.

Smart kid.

No comments:

Post a Comment