Friday, April 23, 2010

Gender Queer

So let's start with this.

I know many transgendered people that will tell a very similar story. How they were born into the wrong body, the wrong sex. That the vehicle their souls travel in was a poor representation for who they were and what they felt inside. I get that. I totally get that. Even though most of the general population doesn't understand, it isn't really a difficult concept to 'get'. Mind you, I am speaking about the concept, not the deeply rooted turmoil and emotions one goes through while they are suffering with gender identity issues. So the concept is fairly simply. You are born into the wrong body. Whether or not others choose to accept those that feel that way, it is still possible to wrap your head around the idea.

Now. What if you are born into a body that only partially fits. Gender queer. A term that took me most of my life to even realize what it meant. I thought for certain I belonged to a very small minority, and surely it didn't have a name. As a matter of fact, until I watched a show on biological women that identified as gender queer, I didn't even realize that the term applied to that. And I certainly didn't realize I was one of apparently many. I am not sure what I thought gender queer stood for, despite the fact that I have been part of the LGBT community for decades.

Now with my latest (and most comforting) label pinned to my chest, I am seeking answers. Was I too born into the wrong body? If I was, what body should I have? I am not completely female, yet I am not male either. I feel like both and yet neither. Or did something in my life's experiences cause me to feel this way? Was it childhood trauma?

I am not sure what answering these questions will change. But I am looking forward to learning about myself....again.

No comments:

Post a Comment