Friday, April 30, 2010

Opposites Attract?

OK. So they say opposites attract. In my life I have found that to be true only about half the time. Taking those percentages into consideration, that leads me to believe that I have a 50/50 chance of being attracted to someone that is not my opposite.

With the number crunching out of the way I have concluded that at least in my case opposites don't always attract. Is it because that statement is just plain ludicrous or is it because I am my own opposite, therefore I am attracted to different people at different times? I am leaning toward the latter.

I am assuming that people that are positive of their gender, even if in the wrong body, will have a distinct 'taste' in what gets their attention. Maybe its not truly their polar opposite but there probably lies a consistency in one or more qualities. For genderqueer and gender fluid people that probably does not ring as true.

I know for me, what I look at and what I end up with have always very different. However I think a lot of people can say that. But as I reflect on my past, I see a distinct pattern in my choices and my behaviors. Having multiple partners was something I did regularly. Not because someone wasn't perfect for me, they just weren't perfect for all of me. I needed one to satisfy my sexual deviance, one that submitted to my dominance, one that mothered me, one that looked like a girl, one that looked like a boy. I had em all and overlapped them constantly. At an early age, I just wasn't going to find anyone that could complete me.

Relationships were tough for me. I left a lot of them. When my head would switch, so would my desires. And my newest desires were not at all associated with the past one, thus I was unfulfilled and unhappy. I moved to greener pastures. Problem was, those pastures seemed to yellow too, and on I would go, again and again.

I don't think it was until I fully embraced and accepted that I was truly gender fluid, that I could be open enough to seek out the perfect match. My current relationship does complete me. Because we are flexible and versatile with each other. She is open to all of me. She has managed to find ways to satisfy them all. Both emotionally and sexually. It didn't just happen that way, we grew into the spaces we share. Communication, acceptance and honesty.

Are we the opposites that attract? Sometimes. But I prefer to say we simply compliment each other.

No comments:

Post a Comment