Thursday, November 5, 2015

Day 1 of my "pick a blog idea from my notes and run with it" challenge - What would you say in couples therapy.

Day 1 of my "pick a blog idea from my notes and run with it" challenge
- What would you say in couples therapy.

Most of my reading is done either in the bathroom or while procrastinating.  Typically ideas for my writing come from the conversations I have within my own head triggered by things I have just read. And since a good portion of my "free time" to read is while I am in the bathroom, suffice to say that this blog idea came from something I read in Reader's Digest or some home magazine with Martha Stewart on the cover.

I do wish I knew what I was thinking when I jotted that sentence down.  I would love to know what I was saying to the therapist and/or to my partner.  Clearly the scenario was playing out in my head. Unfortunately I have no idea. 

There hasn't been a time in many years that I thought counseling was needed or would be appreciated. So it's not like I had a laundry list of "well you........"s or "I need......."s to get out of my system.  My guess is that I was probably questioning the validity of counseling, or praising it's ability to get people to communicate when they otherwise can't or won't.

Therapy is supposed to be a safe place. and sometimes it actually feels that way. For me, therapy was about the only place I would allow myself to be honest and vulnerable.  And only ever with one therapist.  But when I think back to those days. I wish everyone was able to have that experience. I know most do not.

As I sit here right now, the sentence "what would you say in couples therapy" does not trigger any powerful response.  Since it's been over a year since I had the idea to write a blog about it, it's possible that whatever passion I had at that time has taken a back seat to something more prevalent.

That being said, if I was in couples therapy today, I would hope I would allow myself to be vulnerable and honest. I would hope I would feel OK to say I'm sorry, I'm scared, I'm hurt, I'm afraid etc.  All the things I do not know how to say on my own.






No comments:

Post a Comment