Saturday, November 14, 2015

Day 10 - "pick a blog idea from my notes and run with it" challenge

Day 10 - Resolutions

I am sure when I wrote the idea to blog about resolutions, it was January ish. And since the new year is right around the corner, I suppose this one might have some merit.

I hate resolutions. Not because I do not think I will keep my new year promise, but because it seems backwards to me.

Every year we tell ourselves we are going to quit something or do something better.  Basically we are saying that what we do is bad and wrong and we need to change. That is a lot of focus on the negative aspects of ones life.

I think resolutions shouldn't be made to "fix" a person, they should be made to do more of what already works.  I believe if we build on the positive things we have to offer ourselves and others, we will create less and less space for the negative stuff that doesn't work so well.

Instead of saying, "I am going to lose weight", say "I am going to eat more vegetables". The better you eat, the more weight you will lose.  Your goal is the same but the negativity is taken out of it. It is so much kinder to reward yourself with a pat of the back for eating healthier than it is to tell yourself every day that you dislike something about who you are.

There is a reason New Year's resolutions are given up on so quickly.  It does not feel good to fail at something that didn't feel good to begin with.

Positive affirmations work.  Resolutions do not.





1 comment: