Sunday, November 15, 2015

Day 11 - "pick a blog idea from my notes and run with it" challenge

Day 11 - Librarian. How people can change our lives.

There was a story in Reader's Digest. It was about a young girl who, upon the recommendation of a librarian, took out a book that ultimately clanged her world.

Later in the story the girl, now a woman, sees the librarian when she returns to town to visit. Excitedly she confronts the librarian to thank her for suggesting the book that encouraged her to be the writer she had become.

Unfortunately the librarian had been stricken with a form of dementia and could not share in the woman's memory or understand her enthusiasm.

Sadly the woman never got to tell the librarian just how much her simple gesture shaped who she now was.

The story is a sad tale, but one that happens every single day.

We live in such a busy, self absorbed world. We take so much for granted and give thanks way less than we should.  Every day we are touched by people, and most times that goes unnoticed. Simple things like someone suggesting a book, or giving directions, or assisting in choosing an outfit all can change the outcome of a day, or more.

After I read that story, I started running things and people though my head.  I could come up with several "librarians", for a variety of reasons, that have no idea they have made an impact on my life. And they don't know because what they had to offer was just them being themselves. Offering experiences or words of wisdom that were just part of who they were.  Yet those interactions have resonated with me to the point that I revisit some of the memories still.

My favorite example was a simple phrase "Be good to yourself" that was uttered to me during a very difficult time.  Four words, said out of kindness, have been carried with me for over a decade. Because of that phrase I now stop and think about how situations are going to affect me. I make choices with those words floating in the back of my mind.  I have done things completely differently than I might have had I not uttered those words to myself.

Today, those words are ingrained in me and who I am. I do not need to constantly remind myself of them.  So today I share those same words with others that I know need to hear them as much as I did then.  Today I hope those words resonate with someone else and help them be confident in self love and care.

I never did tell that person how much those words helped me.  I think it's time for a phone call.

No comments:

Post a Comment