Friday, November 6, 2015

Day 2 - "pick a blog idea from my notes and run with it" challenge

Day 2 - Why don't you smile

I can only assume I jotted this down because I hear that about 100 times a day.

"Smile".

I suppose I am graced with the highly overused phrase - resting bitch face. But honestly, I don't think that is the reason for my puss. I am in thought. Deep thought. Almost all of the time.  My head runs like it's on jet fuel all day long.  My brain is spending way too much time analyzing the ridiculousness of my consuming thoughts to find much time to remember to smile.

I dislike that people find me a human version of grumpy cat. I am not typically grumpy in the situations where "smile" comes at me.

What I find interesting is that even with my seemingly unapproachable and unwelcoming face, people cannot help by seek me out. While one is telling me to smile, another is telling me their life story.  I am a magnet for conversations with people that I truly did not elicit. As a matter of fact, I am pretty sure I keep eye contact at the bare minimum hoping to avoid the interaction. Still, they find me.

I know my blog was supposed to be about why I don't smile.  But I find it much more fascinating that my uninviting lack of a smile seems to be the same thing as holding a neon welcome sign over my head.  It makes me wonder if the smile is really what people even find comforting.

Smiling is a universal sign. It says "I am happy" or "you make me feel good" or "that was funny".  I experience all of those things and I smile when I do. I know this to be true because I have seen picture evidence.

But is smiling what says "I am approachable"?  Or are there other ways for people to recognize empaths and people willing to listen and care?  And when someone tells you to smile are they saying it really because they are superficial, seeing only the obvious and not capable of connecting on a different level?






No comments:

Post a Comment