Saturday, November 7, 2015

Day 3 - "pick a blog idea from my notes and run with it" challenge

Day 3 - Facebook has made me less judgmental

I am unsure why I thought this particular realization was blog worthy, but since it is next on my list of blogs ideas in my notes, I will write about it.

Facebook has been called a lot of things by a lot of people, good and bad.  I am sure we have all witnessed posts that validate just about every opinion of the social media giant.  I know I have.

As much as I want to hate Facebook, and social media as a whole, for taking us away from real life, for breaking up relationships, for grooming narcissistic adolescents etc,  I cannot deny it's power to do good.

This past year has been really difficult for my family.  We have had job losses, incarcerations and brushes with suicide. I am pretty sure on paper that makes us seem dysfunctional by every account of the word. The truth is, we are not,  My family is real. Full of real people with real problems. We are also a family full great things; legal same sex marriage this year, a new grand baby on the way and children that have conquered things against all odds.

I took quite a hiatus from Facebook and my writing to focus on my family and myself. But truth be told, when I needed support, both emotionally and financially, it was social media that was there with no questions asked. 

My family is in a much better place heading into the new year.  I have found some time to breathe and realized in those breaths I have really missed being here.  While I have silently stalked you all, I did not engage. I quietly watched your lives and loves unfold. I read posts and comments. 

When I wrote "Facebook has made me less judgmental" I am positive it was because I was finding that being able to read others comments to things always made me think before I made an opinion. And many times, by the time I was done with the comments, what I assumed I thought about the person, situation, whatever, changed.  I was listening (reading), and thinking. I have taken this skill into my everyday life.  I now stop myself when I pass judgement, and think. I look at all of the angles.  I consider all of the people or parts.  And many times my initial knee jerk reaction and opinion ends up wrong. 

Facebook has certainly made me less judgmental of others.  However this past year I have realized that Facebook has also made me less judgement of Facebook.  

I appreciate it's positive power 

No comments:

Post a Comment