Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Reassurance

I know there are times when you don't think I notice you. Don't think I feel you. Don't think it matters that you are there. I know there are times when I appear preoccupied, disinterested, or removed. You tell me "I am getting used to your back" while lying in bed. You assume I don't know what you mean. But I do.

Some days, some weeks, I simply am not physically well. You are not slighted, I am just trying to get through the day. I don't want to complain, so I say nothing. My mind does not want you any less, my body just cant keep up with it.

But what makes us different, and you inherently better than I, is your ability to still reach out, even when feeling slighted. I feel your hand on my hip. I focus on it. You having no idea how much that moment says and means. My back toward you, I can still 'see' you. I listen to your breathing, as it gets deeper. I feel your hand slowly relax and find its final resting place. I know you are asleep.

Your touch my reassurance. These words, yours.

No comments:

Post a Comment