Saturday, May 29, 2010

Butch Status

As many of you know, I don't wear any labels comfortably. Not because I don't want to, but because they never seem to fit.

Over the course of the past year, several people have referred to me as butch. A couple of them were truly just ignorant in terminology and lifestyle. Straight outsiders that assume if you aren't a lipstick lesbian you must be a butch. Someone has to 'be the man' right? Those people don't bother me. I am just glad that at least I can be the lesbian I am in their straight world.

However a few people lately have refereed to me as butch that I know are clearly in tune with that label, what it means, and who carries it. When they utter the word, I know it is coming from a place of experience. But it still baffles me. I know I have my butch moments. Don't get me wrong. I own a ton of t shirts and Harley boots. I am very comfortable fixing the car, building things, and 'taking care of the little woman'. I am a Daddy. During those moments, I would agree...100% butch.

But I don't wear that label because I am not that all the time. In all honesty I think it is unfair to the butches of the world that I adopt their label only part time.

I can be very feminine as well. I wear corsets and leather pants when the time is right. I wear a lot of knee high boots that don't have thick polished leather and big soles. I wear make up every day. However no one seems to label me then. I guess I just fit what people assume I am supposed to fit.

Most days I am a combination of the two. Always tough and hard, yet surprisingly soft and gentle.

So I don't think I can fairly claim butch status. But am fascinated by those that think I can.

No comments:

Post a Comment