Thursday, May 27, 2010

Tolerance, Caring, Consideration

I usually pick the inspiration for my posts from things I read or see during the day. A lot of times it comes during my commute to and from work. Equally, people's comments or blogs posted stir up thoughts that turn into blog entries. Today, it is a little of both.

I have noticed lately people's intolerance for others. And while it always has and always will exist, I seem to be particularly aware of it more recently. I think the sheer number of people I encounter during the day via social networking and commuting broadens the possibility of seeing either someone's act of inconsideration or another one's distraught due to it.

Each morning I pass an elementary school bus stop. It is on a busy corner with a traffic light. A crossing guard stands across the street. Every morning I arrive there at the same time after dropping my daughter off at school. And every morning there is a mother who allows her children to get out of the mini van, cross the busy gas station parking lot and wait at the light to cross the street to the bus stop. There are usually three children, with the oldest being maybe six or seven. The little girls stand at the corner watching the light for when they assume it is safe to cross the street. However on a busy corner during rush hour, people are turning in all directions. Essentially there is no safe time. The crossing guard apparently doesnt work that part of the corner, as she never assists these children. Neither do the parents that are standing waiting for the bus with their children. I dont get it. I have gotten out of my car and held traffic for these kids. I have yelled out the window for one of those parents to put out their cigarette, stop chatting and help these little girls cross. I have watched their mom go into the convenience store and get coffee while all this happens.

While driving, I notice the typical testosterone wars on the road. And no, its not a guy thing. Its just an inconsideration thing. No gender required. I have witnessed accidents happen, middle fingers thrown into the air, endless horn blowing and outright dangerous recklessness all because someone tried to merge onto the highway in front of someone else. Its absolutely absurd and inexcusable. Don't these people realize how much better THEY would feel if they did something good? If they allowed that person to merge in front of them? If they were afforded that gentle 'thank you' wave? Why do people insist on taking the route that leads to anger when they have a viable alternative?

As I read people's status updates and posts here on Facebook, it saddens me even more, to see the amount of exclusion that takes place within 'communities' that are vying for acceptance as a whole. People picking and choosing what and who fits the criteria and who doesn't. Exiling people because they don't fit 'their' mold. Not the communities mold, some individuals within it. When groups start to weed out people they only make themselves small and less visible. It seems counterproductive to be so exclusive that you essentially take yourself off the map. Communities and groups are supposed to serve an inclusive purpose. Too much tailoring and eventually no one will fit into it.

All three of the above situations are very different, yet all three are exactly the same. Examples of a lack of tolerance, caring and consideration. What are people achieving by acting this way? Why do they choose these choices first?

No comments:

Post a Comment