Sunday, June 6, 2010

Complete When Intact

Taking quizzes about ourselves seems to be a great boredom buster for a lot of people. I'm sure you will agree that the only ones worthy of your attention or posting on Facebook are the ones that seem accurate, or your perception of accurate anyway.

The other day I was reading an article on a 'medical advisory' website that had personality type quizzes. I must have spent a good portion of my afternoon checking how I fared in the jealousy, self esteem, sensuality and many other areas. While I don't take these quizzes to heart, I was surprised to see a common pattern.

Almost all of the results were opposite of what I had expected. According to this site, I have normal jealousy issues, I have an appropriate amount of self esteem, I have minimal attachment issues etc. The list went on and on. A couple were accurate but those were based primarily on sexuality and passion.

I started to wonder. How could I possibly get results that were so far off from what I thought of myself? Is it possible that I am more well adjusted than I give myself credit for? Or did it depend on which part of me these quizzes were tapping into? Surely where my head was would alter the results. But I don't consciously know 'who' was clicking at that moment.

It is true that my different personalities alter how I deal with people and situations. I am sure that's why I have them to begin with. Most of the time I switch my head space to help me fit in better to a social situation or to change an undesirable mood I may be in. I am very well aware of changing head spaces and I don't recall feeling anything other than 'just me' while I was engrossed in these quizzes.

So my hypothesis is that maybe the real me is more well adjusted than each of the little pieces of me. That separated, they don't function as well. It made me realize that I am much more complete with components intact, genders and all.

No comments:

Post a Comment