Thursday, June 10, 2010

Embracing myself

Since I began blogging this past May, I have had a lot of people reach out to me, identifying with parts of what I write. I take the comments people make seriously. I go out of my way to look at their profile, learn what I can from them, and appreciate the similarities and the diversities.

I have always loved trying to get to 'know' people. I read people well. I have an uncanny ability to know people's true personalities even when they are portraying a completely false one on the outside. As a young lesbian I was able to know what straight women were willing to experiment. I am a great judge of character.

From looking over the information my Facebook friends share, I see a common thread amongst a lot of them identifying with gender issues. I see a lot of vulnerable souls. I see a lot of denial and then relief. I also see a lot of delusions of grandeur being used as a safety net. I don't know these people personally, but I 'feel' them.

I am finding comfort in knowing that I am not alone. And that people crossing gender boundaries, even if just in their minds, come in all shapes, sizes, genders, backgrounds, and sexual orientations. They have all different life experiences. That although the most prominent community members seem to fit the general population's version of stereotypical, most are anything but.

I truly believe that all people are coerced into their gender identification based on the genitalia they are born with. I don't think people are truly unisex or asexual, but I do think that people have tendencies that span the gender spectrum. For me it is a little more pronounced. But maybe that is only because I choose it to be. I enjoy feeling androgynous. I like the edge I carry. I love the variety of sex it allows me.

The more I read, the more I identify and the more I share, the more I am embracing myself and being honest with myself. And the more honest I am with myself, the more comfortable I am with others, especially those close to me. So thanks to all of you supporting my journey and I encourage you to continue your own.

2 comments:

  1. thank you. not sure what else to say, i wish i could express myself well enough that i would feel comfortable enough for public consumption...thanks again.
    chelsea

    ReplyDelete
  2. Expression comes from way down deep. Being comfortable is learning to get over the hurdles without censoring yourself. I encourage you to try.

    ReplyDelete